About the Asia Pacific Road Safety Observatory
The Asia Pacific Road Safety Observatory (APRSO) is the regional forum on road safety data, policies and practices to ensure the protection of human life on the roads across Asia and the Pacific.
APRSO was established by a group of international development organizations – the Asian Development Bank (ADB), The World Bank Group, Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), the International Transport Forum (ITF) and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), with support from the World Health Organization and UK Aid through the Global Road Safety Facility (GRSF). ADB serves as the secretariat for APRSO. The establishment of the Asia-Pacific Road Safety Observatory was announced in February 2020 on the eve of the Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety in Stockholm, Sweden.
It is a concerted effort by the development community and road safety stakeholders to better support countries in Asia and the Pacific in their efforts to drastically reduce road traffic fatalities and serious injuries. The objectives of APRSO are to:
- Collect, manage and analyse an Asia and Pacific regional database for road crashes in Member countries, facilitating on-going applied research and data-driven interventions.
- Provide research and technical assistance for Members on road crash data collection systems, standards and norms.
- Share research, evidence and technical material, software and necessary tools for collecting and analysing road crash data.
- Share evidence and foster dialogue on road safety within Asia and the Pacific.
- Support the creation of a governing body and a lead agency for road safety in every Member state, as well as strengthen existing ones.
- Provide capacity building on technical issues and evidence based guidelines related to road safety.
- Establish cooperation agreements for implementing and evaluating road safety action plans among Members.
- Monitor the progress on road safety of each Member.
- Promote good practice on national and regional road safety policies and strategies.
- Informed by research and evidence help assess how to reduce factors that lead to serious road injuries in Member states.
APRSO commits to support Members through pursuit of these objectives. APRSO Members commit to support APRSO through participation in the APRSO through the General Assembly, Steering Committee and relevant Task Forces, and also to provide data and information of road crashes and road safety to the APRSO.
APRSO Member Countries
- Lao PDR